Since 1977, Lucasfilm and various publishers have released hundreds of Star Wars comics throughout all eras of galactic history, beginning with an adaptation of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. Comics have shown events in the Star Wars galaxy as early as the formation of the Jedi Order in Dawn of the Jedi, and as late as over 100 years after Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. Dark Horse Comics has been the Star Wars comic publisher since 1991.
This page documents information about all of the confirmed and upcoming Star Wars comic books that will be released.
- Star Wars: In the Shadow of Yavin — Trade paperback — September 18, 2013
- Star Wars: Dark Times: Fire Carrier — Trade paperback — September 18, 2013
- Star Wars: Dark Times 30: A Spark Remains, Part 3 — Comic Book — September 18, 2013
- Star Wars: Legacy 7: Outcasts of the Broken Ring, Part 2 — Comic book — September 25, 2013
- The Star Wars 2 — Comic book — October 2, 2013
- Omnibus: Wild Space Volume 2 — Omnibus — October 2, 2013
- Star Wars 10 — Comic book — October 9, 2013
- Star Wars: Ewoks - Shadows of Endor — Trade paperback — October 16, 2013
- Star Wars: Dark Times 31: A Spark Remains, Part 4 — Comic book — October 16, 2013
- Star Wars: Legacy 8: Outcasts of the Broken Ring, Part 3 — Comic book — October 23, 2013
- The Star Wars 3 – Comic book – November 6, 2013
- Star Wars 11 – Comic book – November 13, 2013
- Star Wars: Legacy: Prisoner of the Floating World – Trade paperback – November 20, 2013
- Star Wars: Dark Times 32: A Spark Remains, Part 5 – Comic book – November 20, 2013
- Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi: Force War, Part 1 – Hardcover – November 20, 2013
- Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin – Comic book – November 27, 2013
- Star Wars: Legacy 9: Outcasts of the Broken Ring, Part 4 – Comic book – November 7, 2013
- The Star Wars 4 – Comic book – December 4, 2013
- Star Wars 12 – Comic book – December 11, 2013
- Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi: Force War, Part 2 – Comic book – December 11, 2013
- Omnibus: Knights of the Old Republic Volume 2 – Omnibus – December 18, 2013
- Omnibus: Dark Times Volume 1 – Omnibus – January 1, 2014
- Omnibus: Adventures – Omnibus – January 8, 2014
- Star Wars: Legacy Book 3 – Hardcover – February 12, 2014
- Star Wars: Dark Times: A Spark Remains – Trade paperback – February 26, 2014
Future of Star Wars comicsEdit
After The Walt Disney Company acquired Lucasfilm in late 2012, it became unclear as to what the future of Star Wars comics would be with Dark Horse Comics. After the acquisition announcement was made, Dark Horse President Mike Richardson issued a statement saying: "Dark Horse and LucasFilm have a strong partnership which spans over 20 years, and has produced multiple characters and story lines which are now part of the Star Wars lore. Star Wars will be with us for the near future. Obviously, this deal changes the landscape, so we'll all have to see what it means for the future."
At the Dark Horse panel at San Diego Comic-Con 2013, a fan again asked what the Disney deal means for Dark Horse and Star Wars. Editor Randy Stradley said: "So far we have not experienced any changes. We are on pins and needles waiting to find out what the future holds for us, and the license. About as near as we can get is we'll found out sometime this year. Going full speed ahead [in the meantime], and new projects are being lined up at Comic-Con." It was also said at the panel that Dark Horse anticipates that it will continue publishing Star Wars comics through 2014.
In December 2012, it was reported that Star Wars comics would be published by Marvel Comics once the Dark Horse contract expires. Marvel is owned by Disney so such a decision would mean that Star Wars comics were handled internally, but there has been no confirmation about a Marvel Comics contract.